Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Here is my biggest beef regarding TJ surgery.

ASMI did a survey among all those players that had TJ surgery.  The findings were then released and included many factors that then were used to determine what the major causes were.

That in itself is great, but it is not everything we need to know.

Listen, I have never claimed to be very intelligent, but to me this is only a partial survey.

In order to find answers that truly represent the problem, you would need to take an equal group of both TJ guys and non TJ guys that were in similar situations.

For example what if that survey showed that a large percentage of those TJ guys played travel baseball, but a much larger percentage of the non TJ guys played travel baseball.  Even better what if the survey showed 30% of the TJ guys went to more than one showcase and played into the late fall, while 85% of the non TJ went to more than one showcase and played into the late fall.

I am not saying that those would be the results. I'm just saying that in order to get a true picture you have to account for both ways.

Guys like Zach Greinke played year around when he was young.  He also pitched and played a position. He was a very good player and hitter.  He played travel ball, he went to showcases, he even went to a showcase over the Christmas holidays. I really don't know if or how much he rested or how much he was over used, but he sure has logged a lot of pitches in the Major Leagues.  Shouldn't he be part of any survey?