Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

jp24,

Zach played in many of our tournaments, but that was before we started to log them all. He was a 90 mph guy both from the mound and from the infield. he even threw well from behind the plate, but he didn't catch very often. before his senior year he was up to 94 mph. during his final HS season I think he was up to 96.

Yes. it seems like most every year the number of high school kids throwing 90 or better is increasing.  20 years ago when PG first started we would get very excited when we would see a kid touching 90.  Now days we see a larger number of kids that are touching 95 or 96.  They seem to be bigger, stronger. more well trained, these days. Then again once in awhile we will see a little guy that doesn't look very strong throwing 95.

I see where (I believe it was the Mets, but not sure) brought in the same pitcher after a 45 minute rain delay.  Be interesting to see if anything happens. If so it will probably first show up in lower velocity next time he is out there. I've seen it before.