Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Originally Posted by infielddad:

"Have you actually looked at Andrews findings?"

Many of them actually. I read everything referenced to him even though our son won't play another inning.

It is information. It is highly reliable information from the orthopedic surgeon who is with the very, very best in terms of seeing the damage sports like baseball can produce and correcting them like not many do with surgery. I would think the study showing a "properly" thrown curve ball (interesting how things get remembered) does not cause more issues for the elbow and shoulder than a properly thrown fastball lends credence and objectivity to what Dr. Andrews and his peer group are providing as guidance.  I believe you will also find the article strongly supports the view that most curve balls are not properly thrown by youth pitchers.

But what do I know?  Just seems to me that one might think too many of  those on the way up dismiss the message and messenger.

Is there a new report.  The last one reported was based off of self reporting.  Again has anyone defined what a "properly thrown" curve means?