Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Originally Posted by real green:
Originally Posted by jp24:
Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:
Can you give examples of what their overuse was?  Obviously pitching 150+ pitches every Saturday for 10 months would be overuse, but can you be specific on what theirs was?

Pitcher 1: From 12 or 13 years old on, he was CONSTANTLY working on pitching. Lots of long-toss (don't know details), and played in Texas for select teams that were in a LOT of tournaments starting in February -- often VERY cold weather -- all the way through August at least. It wasn't consecutive-days pitching, or throwing 150 in a game (although I did see him at 14 throw 125) -- it was just obvious that this young man was over-pitching. He was out for brief spells with arm issues almost every year from 12-15. And he'd come back, healed and HURLING. I'm talking mid-80's at a very young age -- 90+ in HS. It all ended with the SNAP! His elite D1 offer included. 

Pitcher 2 is from the northeast. He worked his tail off. Long toss all the time. But guarded fiercely by his select coach. Unfortunately, as a senior this year, his HS team was heading to State -- and his HS coach pitched him with one or two days' rest (can't remember), and when the MLB teams that were looking at him as a 95+ very high draft pick had him take a physical, they diagnosed the tear.

Both are sickening.  

Why is it any more sickening than any other player that can no longer play?  Do you think player 1 would have had the same opportunity without all the work?  Do you really think player 2 had a partial tear because of one short rest?  If so the tear was going to happen at some point.       

You are right, partial tears don't happen on short rest. And why is it sickening? Injuries happen.

CaCO3,

Here is what I consider a problem. I have a friend who has a 10 year old who has played more LL travel games this summer than sons 15/16u team.  Its August,  almost time for school to start here and they are off to CA for more baseball. They play fall ball as well.

My friend says he wants to play ball in college someday.  

Do you think he will? 

Did I mention he is a pitcher?

Last edited by TPM