Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

You can't forget about the money aspect of this -- especially for the tournament organizers and the travel organizations,  In these parts there is a certain facility and a certain organization that runs baseball tournaments practically every week of the year.  They hardly ever go looking for teams to play in those tournaments.   

On the other hand, practice space and indoor facilities are quite limited.  There are a few organizations that can survive while not playing in the fall and winter because they have indoor facilities,  So they can keep their teams together and have them work indoors in the fall and early winter without having to play that much.   But a number of these "local" travel teams basically play all year round -- especially the below HS age teams.  Why?  Cause they canCause they make more money by doing so.  Because parents are a bit gullible perhaps.   Because they think by playing all year round their kid is going to have a big competitive edge.  And on and on. It's a bit insane.  I remember being out at a certain facility in the neighborhood for an early January game at 8am when my son played 13U I think it was.   It was COLD.  But we all had the illusion that playing baseball on a cold January morning was somehow good for our kids. 

Last edited by SluggerDad