Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

I just wanted to get an idea. What you do with your player is your business.  Its easier looking in the rear view mirror than looking forward.  Looking back, son didn't play as much as some of yours. I still stand by my word its too much for that age.  Only time will tell if that is a good choice for him.  Especially for pitchers. Some people I know who have pitchers but still think playing more is good, don't have them pitch at all in fall.  What your player does at 12/13 could impact him negatively at 17/18.  I know you don't see it that way and I know you don't understand.  And he doesn't need to play in a PG event until he reaches HS and has played at least one year. But if that's what floats your boat, fine. More is not always better when bodies are growing and changing.

My son was lucky, he remained healthy until he entered pro ball. From there it was downhill.  Sometimes I wish he had not began pitching at 9. If I knew then what I know now, he would not pitch until high school.  I wish I had someone who advised me to do so.

Ever wonder why ML pitchers don't let their young pitchers pitch?

Last edited by TPM