Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Originally Posted by 2020dad:
Originally Posted by TPM:

Originally Posted by 2020dad:
Its hard to say sometimes what makes our kids improve - or what makes them fade.  I do know this my son has played an average of more than 60 games a year since age 9.  Every year he has improved more than most kids his age.  Hopefully next year will see more drastic improvement.  I have always been careful About how much he pitches but I definitely feel playing a lot of games has helped.  I have no way of proving that just like no one has any proof of why some kids get hurt and others don't.   So I respect all opinions and just try to do the best I can to keep my son safe.  But I don't think 60 game a is overkill.  JMO.

Curious. What do you allow your son to pitch per game, how many times a week, what other positions and what pitches does he throw? 60 in what amount of time.

60 games from late april to mid July.   Now fall ball.  Don't like more than 7 innings a week pitching.  Some weekends of course we are off and he does no pitching.  In fall ball there will be minimal pitching as at least around here they usually pitch about everyone one or two innings each.  When all is said and done he will play about 90 games between late april and early October.   He also plays 1B.  In fall ball he may play some 3B and C as they move kids around a lot in fall.  October, november and December we will do little throwing of any kind.  Certainly no pitching.  In January he will throw a little at a.pitching camp.  Then take the rest if january off.  Start throwing in February and march.  Then another couple week break in early april before going full bore.

You did say 90 games. That's a lot, plus he does overlap sports. Its not always about throwing, there are plenty of young bodies that get overworked who are not pitchers.

FWIW, ours played other sports but never at the same time. And never two teams at the same time. Did he love the game, yup, he was a field rat, with limitations. People for some reason think that because some of us don't or didn't have our kids play as much as them, they didn't love it as much as theirs.  I get that.  

Don't be upset, we are just trying to help you, as I said its much easier to look in the rear view mirror. 

Those pitchers that let their sons pitch, are they current pitchers or ones that played for a long period of time or short?

When people talk about what about the guys who pitched tons of innings, one of sons pcoaches in milb was Dennis Martinez (2 seasons). Dennis is a recovering alcoholic. He told the boys to get through a game he popped pills and then drank to go to sleep. His son is a pitcher, he didnt begin to pitch until later just before HS, and his dad made him go to college.  These guys just don't want their teens having shoulder or TJS. 

I agree with bulldog, when does a parent learn to say no. I understand we had to do it. With all we didnt do, he had issues. If you saw my son you would understand, perfect pitchers frame, excellent mechanics.  Unfortunetly both of his issues were biological in nature.  He made it through college, he made it through the draft, he made it to the 40 man roster.  He never made it to the ML field, he took it well, but I know how much it bothered him. 

But when all was said and done, we could look at ourselves in the mirror and know that, even back then, we did all we could do protect him, that was reasonable in nature. 

You don't have to know exactly what it is that makes one player break down and the other doesn't. But that doesn't mean that common sense does not have to prevail.

As I posted once my daughters boyfriend had his young son play two very physical sports at the same time. Plus wrestling.  This began at 8. We talked about whether it was healthy or not, to him it was, playing multiple sports would make him a better athlete. Until he was diagnosed with OSD in the knee. He was really devastated that he didn't use common sense and this is a REALLY REALLY smart guy, but IMO didn't know how to say no.

Just to be clear, mine did not play baseball in the summer until he reached HS. 

JMO for some serious advice. Dont be mad, if you want you can send a pm. 

Last edited by TPM