Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Originally Posted by infielddad:

Originally Posted by 2020dad:
And I want to quickly add...  we are wrong if we specialize.  We are also wrong if we don't specialize but overlap sports.  As much ad we.may want to we can not bring back the 1950's.  Its a different world.  Other than the naturally gifted of course...  you just can't play a 20 game rec ball schedule anymore and compete.  Thats what the kids who feed our school do.  It ain't working.  The state of wisconsin barely produced any college ballplayers not very long ago.  Now.due.to a few good organizations popping up (one of which my son plays for) there are more college bound players than ever.  Instead of always looking at the negatives of travel ball or showcasing etc.  Lets look at the positives.  Kids do develop this way.  That is a fact.

Boy 2020, I am not sure your comments on Wisconsin are accurate.  For years, that conference has been one of the  strongest in all of D3 baseball-yes, I know, the one where anyone could play.  If you think that, you must know D3 at the bottom, not the top.

This guy was a 2nd round pick out of Stevens Point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Zimmermann

The State of Wisconsin produces many high quality college players. They just don't leave the State and play D1, but many  certainly could. I would strongly support broadening horizons on college baseball.  To provide a current illustration, one of the top 10-15 Summer Wood Bat League teams in being led in many offensive categories and games played by a high quality D3 outfielder. Every other player on that team is from a D1 program most would consider top 25-50. Why not grab your son at the end of next May and head to Appleton, Wisc and watch some D3 college CWS baseball. It might be good for both of you.

No doubt there is a big disparity between top level D3's and bottom level.  But overall there were 11 drafted this year and 15 last year.  Not a track record that screams 'lots of great players'.  Some really good players no doubt.  But most.of.those kIds who stayed in state did so because they couldn't/didn't get recruited at the D1 level.  Yes there are exceptions but that is the rule.  Now more and more wisconsin kids are going D1.  And there are plenty left for.the other levels too.  Point is its getting better.  And playing more baseball has been part of that.  And TPM obviously I hope my son achieves his dreams and does become a big time D1 player.  He has just enough ability and a lot.of size where at least it is a possibility.  But what I don't want to do is put him in that bubble wrap hoping for that...  then it doesn't happen and he never gets to play the amount of baseball he would have liked.  Believe me I do listen to everyone when it comes to avoiding injury.  Nobody wants that.  We just do the best we can.