Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

My statement was not intended to hurt anyone's feelings.  Just recognizing (as has been pointed out on this site before) that any player who really wants to continue their baseball career in college probably has an opportunity to do so somewhere.  That 94% thing is misleading. That's all.  And yes I do have a high bar for the word 'great'.  And yes I am sure there are a lot of D1 players who also don't meet that definition.  However if we take the D1 guys who quit after freshman year out of the equation I think you will find that a lot more than 1 of 10 get drafted.  How many juniors and seniors do you think are left on D1 teams?  It is not an even distribution among the four classes.  It is a much greater accomplishment to play D1 ball.  I will certainly not be ashamed if my son plays D3 and I think that is how my words are being misinterpreted.   That somehow I am looking down my nose at D3.  If some day my son plays for Whitewater or Stevens Point I will be very excited for him.  I will be his #1 fan just like if he accomplished the goal of going to his dream school.  Next year I am not coaching so some baseball season time will clear up.  Between my sons schedule and my own there is very little time to go to college games.  We saw one small college game last year and carved out time for a few D1 games.  But I promise you I will make my best effort to go see some high levwl D3 play next season.  I am sure that will be a lot of fun.