Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Originally Posted by PGStaff:

Just curious, are there a lot of 9 year old kids specializing in one sport?  I understand it is more common among high school age kids, just didn't realize specialization was that common among 9 year olds or even those under 14.

Once again, among the three major sports (football, basketball, baseball) I think basketball has the most year around specialization.  In fact, summer basketball is sometimes made mandatory by some high school coaches.  It's also prime time for college recruiting.

Sorry for the late response, school started today, lots of stuff to do!

To answer your question PGStaff, yes MANY children under the age of 14 "specialize" in one sport, and especially in the Atlanta Area.  I think the word specialize is too specific though, I know in my kids case he picked up a baseball at age 6 and by age 9 he was on a year round team because that is what he enjoyed, and what he continues to enjoy.  I have made it clear on multiple occasions that I would be happy to take him to football, basketball, soccer...and buy whatever, but he LOVES baseball.  He might play a pick up game in the neighborhood of football or soccer, but he's not interested in getting on a team.