Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Originally Posted by SluggerDad:

Originally Posted by 2020dad:
 And yes I am sure there are a lot of D1 players who also don't meet that definition.  However if we take the D1 guys who quit after freshman year out of the equation I think you will find that a lot more than 1 of 10 get drafted.  How many juniors and seniors do you think are left on D1 teams?  It is not an even distribution among the four classes.  It is a much greater accomplishment to play D1 ball. 

it's true that many things cut down the number of upperclassmen on D1 rosters -- the draft being one of them. Some of the power schools seem to lose a significant chunk of their junior class each year to the draft.  Then there are injuries, on and off the field failure, and burn-out.  So you're right that it probably isn't right to think of 1/2 of D1 rosters as consisting of draft eligible juniors and seniors.  But still, even if you take account of attrition, I would bet it's still true that the VAST majority of D1 players don't get drafted. 

Here's a somewhat random sample -- trying to pick a range of schools -- and how many of their draft eligible players got drafted in 2015. 

• Of the 21 draft eligible players at the University of Notre Dame this year exactly 1 got drafted. 
  • Of the 20 draft eligible players at Ohio State 4 got drafted
  • Of the 17 draft eligible players at Cal State Long Beach 2 got drafted.
  • Of the  9 draft eligible players at Vanderbilt,  all 9 got drafted.  (wow) 
  • Of the 13 draft eligible players at Umass Amherst, 0 got drafted. 

That's  5 schools from different parts of the country, with 80 total draft eligible players, of whom 16 got drafted -- over half of them from a single power house school.  If that pattern generalizes over the roughly 300 D1 schools that means on the order of 20% will get drafted.   

Remember one thing though...  its like the odds of rolling a three on a dice.  Its 6 t o 1 of course.  But if you roll it twice its 3 to 1.  Not a math teacher and I am sure in statistics and probability it is much more complicated than that.  But remember those draft eligible juniors have another shot as seniors!  So now that 20% becomes closer to 40%!  That's getting pretty large.  In fact I think the 1 in 5 is pretty large.  Go to baseball cube and look up 2010 rosters.  The smoke has cleared there.  And see how many kids eventually got drafted.  Now you will have to do a little work filtering out those who quit after their freshman or sophomore season but even if you leave them in it might be in that 20 or 30% range.  That's still pretty impressive.  Now.if we had the means and will power to some how sort it to guys who played...  like starters and pitchers who threw significant innings I bet that number would be astonishing.  Fact of the matter is if you are fortunate enough to be a D1 starter your chances of being drafted are pretty darn good.