Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Originally Posted by infielddad:

This thread has posts which could be interpreted to argue there is no "increase" in TJ from 40 years ago other than the surgery exists,  so everything being done now is just fine, when we both agree that is not the case.

Don't you think 50% of HS athletes and over 30% of coaches and even more

parents thinking TJ is a proper prophylactic treatment  is somewhat alarming?(without attempting to alarm!)

Both you and PG are very persuasive and respected on this site. I think many could read this thread and come away with  the view that TJ is just "part of baseball" and nothing should change because UCL tears have always been part of baseball.

That may not be your intent and I can tell from our last exchanges that is not your perspective.  However, if over 50% of HS players and almost 40% of parents believe TJ should be done on a prophylactic basis, more and better education about TJ and the risks needs to occur.

Maybe I am sending the wrong signal. I do believe that ucl tears have always been part of the game and I suspect that the problem is no worse - and perhaps even not as bad - as it was in the past. However, it was a problem then and it is a problem now. It is a problem that was not adequately addressed in 1950 or 1970 or 1980 and it's not being adequately addressed in 2015. More real study needs to be done. I mean real study and not vague statistical analysis. We have the means to break down pitching mechanics and measure the forces applied, yet we've been slow about doing it. I think, if anything, that's the real tragedy here - that we drag our feet. I applaud organizations like ASMI,  ut what studies we've seen so far are only the very beginning of what needs to be done.