Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Infielddad,

I sure don't want anyone to think I feel TJ surgery is just part of baseball and just fine.  In fact, everything I have mentioned is about protecting pitchers and coaches and parents needing to get involved.  The example I gave about the 100 pitch limit and the kid that shouldn't go past 50 is all about prevention. I've said over and over that I love the PitchSmart Guidelines.  We actually use them!  Surgery, of any kind, is not something anyone wishes for.

Now if you are referring to my problem with labeling this issue as an epidemic, my question would be... Is this an epidemic?  

You are correct when you say there are people out there that think TJ surgery is an easy fix.  Personally, I think that helps raise the numbers because some feel if there is any doubt, lets get the surgery done now.  Years ago it would take total loss of the UCL, now it is done with partial damage.  Surely that increases the numbers.  Surely the fact there are hundreds of surgeons, rather than one or two only a few years ago, that can perform the surgery must mean something.  

I believe 100% that prevention is important.  Always have!  Never wavered from that view.  So I don't wish to be portrayed as someone that ino simply OK with everything.

That said, I also agree with the viewpoints that roothog has brought up.  In fact, I don't know how anyone can even argue them.  And nowhere has he hinted that everything is OK.