Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Originally Posted by roothog66:
Originally Posted by infielddad:
Originally Posted by roothog66:

My major concern is that too much time is spent trying to explain "why" TJ surgeries are up. They are on the rise because we perform more of them. Instead of asking that question, I believe we should ignore that particular question and instead focus on the question, "what mechanical deficiencies actually contribute to ucl damage?" More studies on mechanics and their physical forces would be a lot more useful than arguments based on comparative data that is logically flawed.

If it is true that 40% of parents truly believe TJ should be done on a prophylactic basis, why would they care about mechanics and prevention.

Doesn't the message have to be understood that TJ is a significant surgery, not always successful, can take 12-18 months for recovery and involves risks post TJ, to drive home a different message than even coaches currently ,so that there is a fundamental change belief systems in up to 90 to 95% of the  baseball population which appears to be most at risk?

Stated in a different way, why would a coach, HS player or parent of a HS player focus on prevention and mechanics if the player is successful with poor mechanics and lots of "innings" and work and they believe TJ is a good prophylactic treatment?

I know you "got it" but how do we get the other close to 50% to "get it" or do we?

True and I haven't addressed that part of the article yet. Maybe because I find it hard to fathom that people actually think like that. I just find it hard to wrap my head around. I think maybe those numbers a re a little outdated because that very issue was discussed a lot in the media early last year. At least I hope that data is old. I guess the remaining problem would be how do you go about educating people on this?

Just an FYI, sons surgeon did indicate that there are many parents out there that don't care because they know there is a "cure". 

The whole point is about educating parents on major surgeries on the rotator cuff and ulnar ligament. They have absolutely no idea of what is involved AFTER the surgery takes place.  

If anyone can pull up JH's blog on his TJS recovery, that is just the tip of the iceberg. Any parent who thinks that its ok to overuse their pitcher because they can have an operation has no business being a parent.