Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:
Originally Posted by TPM:

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:
Originally Posted by Al Pal:

FWIW, we didn't allow our LHP son to play year round ball until sophomore yr in HS. He thought we were being overly cautious/insert nasty-slang-term here. We knew his physique/velocity was not 'projectable' D1 level and, fortunately, we, the parents, didn't have to say one thing b/c experience in Atlanta as rising junior eventually made it clear. (Whew!) That said, he had serious looks by our local high D2 school. He will be playing high D3 next year (assuming a good fall work-out). Though not a brilliant student, he received a LOT of merit aid (the best kind there is!). I think it worked out beautifully. He didn't flame out in middle school. He didn't flame out in high school. And he gets a chance to play ball in college.

Why didn't we let him play year round? My better half knows Andrews and when our kid was 11-ish was told the stats about year-rounders. Yes, there are always outliers but the chances of injury skyrocket with year-round play. Also, re specialization: my player and his buddies didn't do multiple high school team sports but do a LOT of physical activity: wake boarding, snowboarding, scuba, ultimate frisbee, etc. They just came back from their 4th 5+hr day hike in our local mtns. 

The small, small, SMALL percentage of players going on to play high-level D1ball (and further) are, in my mind, the outliers. The bulk of our kids are regular kids with a cool chance to play a fun sport in college. Our job as parents is to remember that. 

Okay this is what I don't get!  You admit your kid isn't D1 material.  You admit the D1 guys are the outliers that can handle year round ball.  Yet, based on the advice of Dr. Andrews you wouldn't allow a 11 year old...a 12...a 13 year old to play baseball, which he loved, with his buddies year round...all to protect his arm which you knew wasn't D1 material.

Okay, to me this says you robbed your kid of the doing what he loves on the off chance he would hurt himself....I'd like to refer you back to the wrapped in a bubble comment by 2020dad.

Good for you Al Pal!  

No one knows at 9, 10, 11, 12 or even 15 or 16  what division a player may qualify for but you knew that your son might one day play at the next level and you did what you did based on credible info you received from Doc Andrews.  This has nothing to do with what division or level but avoiding injury to youth players.

Not understand why some just don't get that.

Don't make someone who hasn't had their son make it even to HS yet, tell you that you denied him anything or what you did was wrong.

Best of luck to your son!

I choose to think of my kid first and foremost as a KID, secondly as a baseball player. Silly me!

That's how you see it, but anyone having major surgery is not something any parent wants to see their KID go threw, no matter what age his is. 

You have to stop justifying what you chose to do, that is your choice, and any consequence is on you.  Dont blame it on denying your child, it wont kill kids to have their wishes denied at some point in their lives.

I know that you have stated many times that your son wants to play college ball. I think you are trying to shoot higher for him and the "let him do what he wants to" is just an excuse parents use because they have absolutely no control over the word, no.

Plus, there is a lot of pressure from the smiths and jones. 

So what happens when your son reaches the most important time in the college recruiting process and he gets hurt, do you think any coach is going to give him a scholarship?