Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Originally Posted by jp24:

Originally Posted by 2020dad:
Originally Posted by jp24:

"I choose to think of my kid first and foremost as a KID, secondly as a baseball player."

I think I understand what you're saying, Caco: Don't rob him of his childhood! And I AGREE! My ONLY goal for JP always has been to develop and maintain a love for this great game. After that, whatever happens, happens.

BUT ... if you have a son whose passion for pitching is so strong that he wants to become an MLB pitcher, and others see potential ... don't you HAVE to step in and -- using all available science -- tell him NO sometimes, so that he can achieve his dream? 

I guess my point is: Let kids be kids -- but if they have their eye on a man's game, and show the potential to make it ... step in. 

Because IF later, his arm is shot and he cannot pitch in the MLB, telling him "I was letting you be a kid" will offer little comfort.

JP you seem to be handling this debate in a civil and sincere way.  Thanks.  (Or maybe I jist haven't had time to read all your posts yet lol.)  So I ask you sincerely, and I think this is where we are confused...  what are we supposed to say no to?  I don't think caco, me or anyone else promotes their kid playing games 365 or pitching year round.  So what are we supposed to say no to?  I ask sincerely not sarcastically.

Thanks for the kind words, 2020. 

I'm not a pitcher's dad, so know that. But as I posted earlier, I'm the dad of a boy who from a young age played a LOT. His teams won all the 'important stuff' -- USSSA, Super Series, Triple Crown (broadcast on CBC Sports - big WOW! at the time). Even Cooperstown.

What I've observed over the past seven years is that boys who PITCHED from a young age, and had a lot of potential, invariably pitched too much. Not in a single tournament ... or a single game ... but cumulatively. 

So ... if I had a son today who pitched (even if I didn't expect him to be great, but who LOVED to pitch) ... I guess I'd find a cap I was comfortable with in terms of number of pitches thrown in a calendar year, then make sure whoever coached him accepted that cap, and pitched him accordingly.

And I'd explain to my son that what matters isn't how many 13-year-olds he beats -- but how many 18-38-year olds he may some day beat! I'd tell him to go do something else for awhile! NO ONE wants to be one-dimensional anyway!

Yes -- it may mean fewer trophies, but friend ... with a son who'll leave us here in Texas next year to go to Oregon to play baseball, I can tell you: ALL THAT MATTERS is that he still loves this game.

Thanks JP.  And now I can happily say I am in full agreement with your specific concerns.  I talked to coaches before season about limits I am comfortable with.  I think they respected those wishes and only once pushed the envelop and I politely stepped in.  As I have said we stayed.well within amsi guidelines.  Your son seems to hae been on a powerhouse team.  We have picked up a few new kids for next year - all pitchers, legit.pitchers - so workload should be very tolerable next year.  Not sure we will be as good as your team but we should be pretty good.  Won't have to lean too heavily on any one pitcher.