Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Originally Posted by Bulldog 19:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dogs:
Originally Posted by Al Pal:

Not sure if this is place to post this link to July's Orthopedics Today roundtable/article titled "Epidemic of Youth Sports Injuries". Experts like Drs. Andrews and Romeo. Good info re Little League all the way to MLB. Food for thought re this thread.

http://www.healio.com/orthoped...t/orthopedics-today/{9b2e31e6-0a96-4a42-a7ef-f4c0bd427e73}/panel-discusses-epidemic-of-youth-sports-injuries-role-of-prevention-programs

A lot of good info.  Here's a really powerful quote from Dr. Andrews: "When I see new patients, I have them write down their history and elaborate about the awards they have won, the championships, perfect games, showcases, etc. These are all, of course, risk factors relative to injuries in the younger throwers. I have them put all this information on the blackboard including when they started throwing and how many innings they play each year and I will leave the room and let them finish that information. When I go back into their room, they usually have run out of blackboard space and I will look at the parents and the young thrower and say, “Do you all know why this young player is here?” They really don’t know how to answer my question. Then I will point to the blackboard and at that point, the parents for the first time understand why their young baseball player is in the office seeing me for a throwing arm problem."

I love this comment! There are many times I have wanted to start doing the same thing, but unfortunately I don't have a blackboard in our ATR to do just that! But it really makes a great point IMO..

He isnt the only surgeon who feels that way. 

Funny thing is there it is in black and white from a world renown surgeon and you still will have parents that will continue to do the same thing over and over. Play year round sports and never give the kids a rest.

JMO