Skip to main content

Reply to "Johns Hopkins Baseball"

Mominthestands posted:

So, what will you hear from a HA D3 or any highly ranked D3 if the coach "loves" your son?

Level doesn’t matter. Genuine interest comes early in their recruiting cycle. The coach talks more in specifics (you will have an opportunity to win the “position” job or I’m thinking of converting you to “position” versus talking in generalities about winning any position. How often they attempt to see the player. 

Nothing is cast in concrete. Players do go from the back of the roster to become starters. But they don’t get first shot. The reality of college ball is not all opportunity is created equal.

Coaches have a general idea of what they expect to occur. One of my son’s high school teammates was brought in as the third recruit at his position. It was his only D1 offer. The two earlier recruited players couldn’t play themselves off the field no matter how poorly they played. The teammate went 8-20 over two years before being told he was no longer needed on the team days before opening day junior year. His first college at bat he ripped a game tying double down the line against a ranked team. He didn’t play again for three weeks. 

While my son’s high school teammate had the best hands at his position I’ve ever seen in high school and travel the other two fit the physical mold of what the coach perceived to be a college hitter.