Skip to main content

Reply to "Johns Hopkins going all online for fall"

@Zoom 2020 posted:

Hey Chico, sorry to hear about that sudden change. How do you think this will affect the baseball team given that fall practices/tryouts/evals won't take place as usual?

It seems there is a kid who is transferring from Duke to Hopkins as a grad student based on the D1 transfer tracker. How many seniors at Hopkins are returning for a 5th year to play baseball? Assuming that some semblance of normality returns by winter/spring and spring baseball occurs, won't Coach Babb have to find a quick way to make cuts if he starts with a 60+ man team that shows up for first day of practice second semester?

I have heard about a couple of former D1 players hoping to play while in grad programs at Hopkins in 2021, but I don't have any details (haven't asked for any--the boy wants to attend JHU whether he's a starter or gets cut, so initial roster size is what it is).  Winning a spot may be tougher than in most years, but you always are going to have play your way onto the team.

I'm sure more Hopkins students (athletes and non-athletes) are considering deferring now that fall is online-only.  My son is going to think about it, too, but it's hard to plan a very interesting gap year with travel and work options so limited. 

The late notice is a pain.  But I give Hopkins credit for doing what they decided was right, rather than just following through with the plan they announced in June.