Skip to main content

Reply to "Johns Hopkins going all online for fall"

@K9 posted:

A friend's son who is a rising freshman at Tufts decided to take a gap year rather than attend remotely.  Apparently the school told him that he might have to wait for two years.

My son's good friend, a rising freshman, is going to Tufts to pitch.  I am very good friends with his mom.  She has been saying that Tufts has very much discouraged gap years while paying lip service to do what is right for you.   I bet Tufts's issue with your friend's son situation is that Tuft's freshman don't register for classes until they arrive at school so they don't know yet if the son is all online or some type of hybrid. So in this case I guess the son and parents are making the personal choice of not sending son to school due to Covid.  Parents were forced to make the deferral call i think in early June which is too early given the fast moving covid situation   Parents should have this right in my opinion right up to the start of school and Tufts should give the gap year but the late decision creates an issue for Tufts too.  They could have filled that seat in June.   It just seems wrong but for Tufts and parents there are no easy choices.