Skip to main content

Reply to "Johns Hopkins going all online for fall"

@CTbballDad posted:

Sorry for you and your son, but I think you're being too kind in giving JHU credit.  My take is they, and other schools, delayed so long intentionally, so families have very little choice to look elsewhere.

My daughter’s college billed for the semester right on time, including charges for full room and board that they said they would adjust later for those who chose less expensive options (housing decisions were delayed and still pending at the time). Hopkins has sent no bills yet, offered a tuition discount, and (I think) is allowing students to choose a gap year now long after the deadline to make that decision. IMO, almost nothing about deciding August 6 to go all-remote benefits JHU, while quite a bit hurts it. Their decision may prove right or wrong, but I think  it’s hard to argue they were just trying to maximize revenue.  I do wish they had made this call earlier.  But again, that suggests to me that they took the tough decision.  I’m not a happy camper, but I can’t really fault Hopkins.