Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO"

Niner, Your son should treat this visit just like he would a visit to a NCAA or NAIA school. Questions about what kind of academic support is available, what size roster do they carry, depth of position, where kid's move on to and what the coach does to assist in that process, what majors are available (they'll probably have you meet with admissions people), what housing is available (many JUCOs don't have housing), and do they put athletes together, etc. If an offer is made, you would need to clarify exactly what that covers. Some states are allowed to include room/board in a JUCO offer. Have they said if they want your son to work out with the team? If so, this provides a wonderful opportunity for him to meet players, ask questions, see how they respond to the coach, what their relationships with one another are like. I personally do not think it's a good idea to accept offers on the spot. I didn't let my son do it, although I knew exactly where he was going to end up going when we visited that particular school. It's good to come home and think of everything in a less emotional moment.