Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO Coaches"

@adbono posted:

I am speaking in generalizations. There is no other way to talk about this. Because of NIL and the transfer portal D1 recruiting is not being done the way it has been in the past. It is radically unfair to HS seniors.
  I am saying that I’m seeing fewer big school D1 coaches at recruiting events this summer than ever before. The ones that do show up are there only to be seen. They aren’t taking notes. They aren’t looking at players. They are on their phone. Events like Area Code tryouts and high profile area tournaments that draw teams from all over the SW region. There is less interest in HS players among top D1 schools than I have ever seen. I am at these events and this is what I have seen.
  What I don’t understand is why they are signing them when they don’t intend to keep them and develop them. The programs that have coaches with the title of Player Development don’t seem to be using those coaches for that purpose. The days of signing freshmen and bringing them along are almost gone for now. Not very many programs still do much of that. Especially with position players. If a kid can’t help a program win from the minute he steps on campus he is shown the door more often than not. Most kids aren’t given a chance to be a good teammate and wait their turn. Most are forced to transfer by the school that initially recruited them. Why spend 2 years working with a kid hoping he develops into a player that can help you win if you can go snag an already developed player out of the transfer portal? That is the argument that so many programs are subscribing to. And I’m saying it’s the most prevalent at the top 50 D1 programs. I know this because coaches on staff at many of these programs have told me so during events that I have attended with them.
  As a matter of fact I’m attending another recruiting event today for uncommitted HS players. All the coaches will talk and I will hear the same thing. I very involved in recruiting and player evaluation. I’m often around other guys that do the same and we talk. This isn’t something I’m reading on Twitter or a rumors I hear from friends. This is grass roots information that I’m passing on for the benefit of the board. And I have to be careful how I do it. I can’t name names and I have to speak in generalities. Your need to challenge things I say (that many other people also see) doesn’t make things any easier or any better.

I'm going to take the naive approach.   Bring Tuition $$$ to the school, at least for the fall semester.

There is nothing to lose because there is minimal capital outlay. 

I'm assuming signing means verbal commitment.