Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO Coaches"

@adbono posted:

I am speaking in generalizations. There is no other way to talk about this. Because of NIL and the transfer portal D1 recruiting is not being done the way it has been in the past. It is radically unfair to HS seniors.
  I am saying that I’m seeing fewer big school D1 coaches at recruiting events this summer than ever before. The ones that do show up are there only to be seen. They aren’t taking notes. They aren’t looking at players. They are on their phone. Events like Area Code tryouts and high profile area tournaments that draw teams from all over the SW region. There is less interest in HS players among top D1 schools than I have ever seen. I am at these events and this is what I have seen.
  What I don’t understand is why they are signing them when they don’t intend to keep them and develop them. The programs that have coaches with the title of Player Development don’t seem to be using those coaches for that purpose. The days of signing freshmen and bringing them along are almost gone for now.

So as the parent of a 2025 this is the part I am having the most difficulty wrapping my brain around.

Seems like the top schools want to have their cake and eat it too. They have "commitments" from kids that haven't even started high school, but will dump them at the drop of a hat for proven college talent when they show up on campus.

Yet somehow all of my son's freshmen high school teammates are in GA this week along with 300+ teams spending thousands of dollars trying to secure an offer that has never had less security.

This system is jacked up.