Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO Coaches"

@adbono posted:

The transfer portal is just another element that makes college baseball more of a business model than an amateur sport. Exactly what MLB wants. They want college baseball turned into milb w/o MLB having to fund it. I have my suspicions that the extra years of Covid eligibility and the reduction of the MLB draft was a coordinated effort between MLB and the NCAA. If so the consequences we are seeing now were not unintended at all.

IMHO, these were mutual independent actions, whereas each party is looking out for their best interests, with certain overlaps.

Eligibility was a no-brainer, should a player lose their eligibility if they are not able to play?  You can't say, a player used up a year when they didn't play a full year.

Note, due to weather conditions and population density, some areas were impacted earlier than others. This is the price for starting college baseball in February

So in 2020/21 do you have a policy where players south of the mason dixon would have exhausted their eligibility because they could have played  vs the northeast/midwest / California that had total shutdown.

Understanding this was debatable, I tend not to do monday morning quarterbacking on the governing bodies decision.

Yeah HS Families can complain, oh it not fair.  Life is not fair,  Get in the Lab, the world has changed

btw, you've done your own gaming,  e.g. 8th grade reclassification, post grad schools.  whatever process you acted upon to create a better situation for your player.

Whereas the MLB, IMHO was pure leverage of greed between (mlb and mlbpa)

• elimination of 40 minor leagues teams (were these team profitable?)
  • Draft from 40 to 5 (2020), 20 rounds in 2021 free agency capped at 20k?  I think it might be 25k.
  • Creation of MLB summer league, thus impacting talent distribution to the top leagues
    • What will be the long term impact to the top leagues, e.g Cape Code

Here is my basic question,

Should a player be able to transfer freely? Should there be penalties, ie. you must sit out.

If I work for a company, and move to another company, I'm I required to sit out 1 year?

What I find interesting, for the most part the United States is governed by free market principles, but collegiate athletics wants a model consistent with Indentured Servitude.

This seems unconstitutional, but a carve out to control individual rights.

Help me understand