Skip to main content

Reply to "JuCo Route"

As I skimmed down through this thread of comments, I have two points I'd like to add.

Caco3girl's comment about a "foreign language required by NCAA" is not accurate.  Many universities may require a foreign language as a requirement for admission to that particular university, but such courses are NOT required for NCAA eligibility purposes.

While FoxDad's comment that an athlete going to JUCO doesn't need to establish an account with the NCAA Eligibility Center until they are ready to transfer to an NCAA school is technically accurate, I disagree with that approach.  An athlete planning to transfer from a JUCO to an NCAA Division I or II program can't know for certain what academic requirements they must satisfy while attending the JUCO in order to be eligible when they transfer to an NCAA D-I or II program unless they have registered with the Eligibility Center and have been classified as a Qualifier, an Academic Redshirt/Partial Qualifier, or as a Non-Qualifier.  

Also, some JUCO's do a poor job (or not at all) of making sure that their athletes know the academic requirements that must be satisfied to be eligible upon transfer to a four-year college.  We get a few calls each year in mid to late summer from parents who have just learned that their athlete didn't complete all the necessary courses at JUCO to be eligible for their first season at the NCAA college that they're planning to transfer to.