Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO, the good, the bad, and the ugly"

Good - Most JUCO coaches seem to be very well connected and know tons of 4 yr coaches.  They work hard to get their kids to the next level, partly because that helps them sell their program to the next crop of kids.  But the ones I know really want to see the kid go to a place where they will be successful.  You will get seen as most teams attend pro-days and such in the fall, and I have seen lots of scouts at the weekend series and tournaments.

Bad- As has already been said, 50+ kids may be there on day 1.  After fighting all of that to win some playing time in the fall, a new kid could transfer in spring semester and that is that.  I have seen lots of recruiting going on this time of year through the first day of spring classes to get new kids in who are not happy elsewhere.  Most programs are run by former 4 yr asst coaches who want to move on, so they are tough on their kids.  That is a good thing in a way, but the kids cant just stop by the dining hall on the way back to their room for dinner.  After a long day of conditioning, classes, and then practice the kids go home and cook or eat drive-thru crap. 

Ugly- A lot of parents do not want to hover and instead let the kid grow up and do their own thing.  But they really need to know what is going on with the academics.  If Junior is not key to winning, the coach may not care what classes are being taken or if Junior is even showing up.  Or if Junior is key to winning and may not be the best student, then he may be in a bunch of PE credits to keep him eligible.  The players talk about what classes and instructors are hard or easy, and the schedule mom blessed on Aug 1 might be completely different on the first day of class.  If I'm meeting with my kid's future coach, I ask to see the form that has to be filled out by the faculty and returned to the coach showing progress in the classroom and I ask how often he requires the form to be completed.  I also want to see a team schedule to see if Study Hall is on there anywhere.