Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO, the good, the bad, and the ugly"

wattsboro posted:

Ugly- A lot of parents do not want to hover and instead let the kid grow up and do their own thing.  But they really need to know what is going on with the academics.  If Junior is not key to winning, the coach may not care what classes are being taken or if Junior is even showing up.  Or if Junior is key to winning and may not be the best student, then he may be in a bunch of PE credits to keep him eligible.  The players talk about what classes and instructors are hard or easy, and the schedule mom blessed on Aug 1 might be completely different on the first day of class.  If I'm meeting with my kid's future coach, I ask to see the form that has to be filled out by the faculty and returned to the coach showing progress in the classroom and I ask how often he requires the form to be completed.  I also want to see a team schedule to see if Study Hall is on there anywhere.       

Regarding academics and studies, my son's JuCo coach required all freshman and sophomores with a GPA under 2.5 (I think) to attend study hall.   He would also spot check to make sure they were attending their classes.  If they skipped and did not have a valid reason (sick, etc), then they would be doing extra running at practice.