Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO vs. 4-year program"

quote:
Where kids run into problems is that they don't have the academic foundation that is available at a Division I school. Guys sign up for the classes that they want to at a junior college. At a division I school you have academic advisors that work strictly with the athletes ensuring that they're staying on their graduation path.

That is essentially the problem.The coaches tell them to see counselors.He gives them lists of what they need to take.My son is a qualifer, so only needs 48 units.He has not had a cruz class.In order to get out of there with 48 he has to take all solids.If the kids would see the counselors like asked to there would not be problem. Your right , a lot sign up for units that mean nothing.I do agree that academic support isnt as good at JC.We have a pretty strict policy for our son.If he doesnt live up to it, there will be consequences.He is there to get his gen ed. done and develop as a player.He has seen a counselor each semester and then we sit down and go over his classes.
Too many parents just let the kids sign up for whatever, there are some guys my son plays with that lost chances at 4 years due to this and are now taking 18 units a semester to make up for it.