Skip to main content

Reply to "Juco vs. prep School; Can someone explain these options"

Juco vs prep school (or gap year) differ on eligibly clock when it comes to D1. You have 5 calendar years to play 4 season. That clock starts when you start any college as a full time student. Once the clock starts, not many situations can stop or delay it.

Personally, I think choosing the Juco route to avoid the overcrowding in D1 is a mistake. There are 5 or 6 high school graduation years eligible to play ball right now because of the COVID seasons. There are extra guys trying to play baseball at every level and division. Until all of those COVID years age out, there will be more players than normal. Prep school or gap year shifts your 4 playing years out one year, so technically it pushes you farther out into the age-out process, but I don’t think the difference is enough to choose that option solely based on the COVID angle.

To me, the objective hasn’t changed. Do your research and find a place where you can play. Were you counting on a senior graduating in order to get playing time? That’s a bad strategy because some other freshman or a transfer could be coming in who’s better than you. Look at the level of play at a school, and be honest with yourself about whether you belong there. There are lots of things out of your control once you get there, but make sure you can play at that level and have a decent chance to earn playing time.

Last edited by MidAtlanticDad