Skip to main content

Reply to "Juco vs. prep School; Can someone explain these options"

To Dominik’s point above. This whole “let’s hold the kid back a year so he is bigger and stronger” when they are younger makes little sense to me. For  transparency, my son was held back in kindergarten. But it was on recommendations of his teacher for maturity purposes at the time. By the end of the year, she had decided she was wrong and advised he go forward. We, as his parents, felt like he needed that year for maturity. He has a late August birthday so was less than a week from being in a different class anyway. Back to the story. If your kid is actually talented enough, works hard enough, has the drive and desire to play baseball at the collegiate and professional level, is holding him back really gonna make the difference??  I think no. But it most certainly WILL put him at a disadvantage when he reaches the professional level. It doesn’t seem like a year or a half year matters, but it does in the opinion of the MLB team looking at your son. They would MUCH rather have a 20 yo junior than a 21 yo junior. I know it sounds crazy, but we lived it. So I would suggest thinking long and hard about holding your son back for athletic purposes only. Again, just one dad’s opinion.

Last edited by younggun