Skip to main content

Reply to "Juco vs. prep School; Can someone explain these options"

Almost every kid that comes to mind (at least locally) that plays or has been given the opportunity to play at the next level follows a very similar blueprint. Start KN at 6, play 2 years at 12u, and/or repeat 8th grade. This isn't anything new in my area, and kids most definitely benefit from doing so. At least until the pack catches up with them. I would guess that for the really talented ones this happens at the major league level.   

Granted, I don't have the stats in front of me, but I would venture to say that the vast majority of baseball players that play at some form of the "next level" are older, not younger when compared to their peers.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem so from my experiences.

Agree 100% and this is why the kids that get big offers as freshman that I know fizzle in college and transfer from e.g. ACC or SEC to Juco in year 2 or beyond wheras the players that I see stick a little longer are just sold players or grinders who found the right program and actually played. There are exceptions w and yeah some have gotten drafted or scholarships from it but seems like fools gold in most cases with the fool normally being the dad and this twitter or facebook account.  What I don't get is why scouts fall for it. And I'm not talking about 6.3" Freshman who throws 90 it's the head scratcher guys.