Skip to main content

Reply to "JUCO's and CC's"

My son chose a JUCO after being recruited by DI, DIII, and NAIA. The deciding factors were proximity to home (wanted to get away the players he's always played with and against, but not too far away from home), housing, and most importantly playing time.

We had not been considering JUCOs and knew very little about them. We have since found that there is A LOT of very competitive baseball out there.

Things we learned along the way:

1) NJCAA JUCOs are categorized as DI, DII, and DIII. As with 4-year schools, the difference between the rankings is not necessarily talent -- it's the number of sports the school supports and the amount of scholarship they are allowed to give.

2) Just because the rules say a school is permitted to provide X amount of scholarship doesn't mean they will. Many do not fund the full allotment. This is true of 4-year schools as well.

3) Many JUCOs do not provide housing.

4) The school my son chose participates in a real fall league. It wasn't just intra-squad and scrimmage.

5) It's HARD to go to school and play baseball. The time and energy commitments are ridiculous no matter what "level" of school you attend.

The coaches who recruited my son did so based on recommendations from other coaches and scouts who had seen him. This proved to me that, yes, coaches do talk to each other.

JUCO ended up being the right choice for my son. He loves the coaches (who hooked him up with an out-of-state collegiate summer league) and his team, which is competitive.

http://www.njcaa.org/

Good luck!