Skip to main content

Reply to "Judging pitcher performance."

2017LHPscrewball posted:

What level are you talking about and what is the goal of the judging?  I'd say, at some levels - if the goal is to choose future MLB pitcher prospects, I'd go with MPH as the single most important metric.  If you are judging a current MLP pitcher, then maybe WHIP or OBP.  Started thinking about high school pitchers when reading the original post and could not help but recall what has been said here many times - high school stats don't matter - talent, especially hitting, just too inconsistent across the board.

I never try to pick who will make it to the ML. My perspective is almost always looking to see which player on the team is the most “successful” now.

I know what’s been said about HS stats, but almost always it’s been from the perspective of moving to the next level. Since there’s no place where there’s access to every HS player’s stats, of course using them to project what the future holds is silly. But, every HC has access to the stats for all of his players, so using them to help judge those players is relatively simple.