Skip to main content

Reply to "Judging pitcher performance."

Stats4Gnats posted:

Truman posted:

The four I like to look at (in order that I like to look at them) that I use to make such a judgment of a pitcher:

WHIP - something right at 1 or better

SO's per inning - 1 per inning or more

BB's per inning - a small number like 1 in 4 or better

Batting Average (opponents)  - Low average of course and like seeing  .225 or less.

Those 4 metrics are pretty good ones except for one teeny thing I have an issue with. I know K’s and BB’s per inning are widely used, but to me they have the same problem as using IPs as a way to limit pitchers. Using something per inning isn’t even close to being the most accurate measurement.

The most precise measurement would be # of pitches per K. The next would be the number of batters per K. And then would come K’s per inning. I’m not saying any of those measurements wouldn’t be good, but rather that the more precise the more useful.

Attached is a metric I’ve run for many years. If you notice I do all 3 measurements for both walks and K’s. That way there’s a measurement that meets anyone’s precision requirements.

Interesting thought.  I'm not sure how I could interpret such numbers given the variable of situational issues involved which seems to affect such precise measurements.  

This brings to mind a 5th element I sometimes like look at and that's the ratio of pitched strikes to balls, where if a pitcher is throwing at a ratio of 3 strikes to every ball, I'd say he's doing well in terms of command.