Skip to main content

Reply to "Judging players without watching them play."

I can relate one story. In a fall tourney this year, my son started a game where he faced the 5A #1 team. On that team was the #1 rated kid in his class (my son is #2). His first at bat, with first open, after getting behind 2-0, we put him on with an intentional walk. This kid, who is a beast of a 2018, was a little upset. Flipped the bat and, as he headed for first, said, "Happy birthday." He happened to be passing a mlb scout who, according to one of our parents sitting behind him, tore the page out of his notebook, shook his head and tossed it in the trash. My son had a great game (K'd the same kid swinging in his next two at bats). He got a questionnaire from the scout - the only one he gave out from that game. The thing is, I know that kid well. he's a genuinely good kid. 4.6 GPA in an IB program. 5' 11" and runs a 6.67 60. Great outfielder. Hit cleanup as a freshman on the #1 5A team in the state. Lead the team in homers. And, throws 88 from the mound! And di I say he's a really good kid? However, that one single moment...