Skip to main content

Reply to "June & July Of Your H.S. Freshmen Year"

CTbballDad posted:

I disagree you should only go to camps if invited.  As I’ve chronicled here I the past:

• 2019 RHP did very little travel ball/showcases during HS years
  • We mapped out which schools were good targets academically athletically - NESCAC and mid-major D1
  • We went to their camps, preceded with an email introduction,  not an invite from a coach
  • At said camps, coaches were interested and followed up by attending some of his travel games
  • Received multiple offers (6) and turned down additional UV after accepting 
  • Accepted school was original top target and we attended 3 camps over a 2 year period

I will add, the only camp we attended after a personal invite, after the above steps were followed, did not result in an offer.  That one still baffles/upsets me to this day, as he was the first first pitcher on the bump and K’d the first 6 batters and retired all 8 batters.  Crickets...

I understand what you're saying, but NESCAC/lower level D1 is going to be a lot different than most camps. At those levels there is a very small recruiting budget, on top of the fact that most of the kids they would like to recruit have no chance of getting into the school. Camps for schools like these are very important - they need players to come to them. So when they hold a camp, they need to pay attention and be on the lookout for these kids because if they're there, they're likely a fit for admissions as well. 

When it comes to lets say a "mid major" like Coastal Carolina. They're seeking out the players they want, not waiting for them to show up at a camp with 200 other kids. The coaches don't need to pay attention because there is a list with 65 players they're actively recruiting already. Unless one of the 65 is at the camp, you really have to wow them. 

2019 went to a camp cold (no contact) after receiving a bunch of spam emails. This is a school well within his playing range and a step down from where he is committed now. Hit 91 for the first time and struck out 5 of 6 batters. Not a word, not even a reply email. They only have 5 commits for 2019 class as of now with the best pitcher topping at 87. Still got the email for the fall camp in October.