Skip to main content

Reply to "June & July Of Your H.S. Freshmen Year"

PABaseball posted:
CTbballDad posted:

I disagree you should only go to camps if invited.  As I’ve chronicled here I the past:

• 2019 RHP did very little travel ball/showcases during HS years
  • We mapped out which schools were good targets academically athletically - NESCAC and mid-major D1
  • We went to their camps, preceded with an email introduction,  not an invite from a coach
  • At said camps, coaches were interested and followed up by attending some of his travel games
  • Received multiple offers (6) and turned down additional UV after accepting 
  • Accepted school was original top target and we attended 3 camps over a 2 year period

I will add, the only camp we attended after a personal invite, after the above steps were followed, did not result in an offer.  That one still baffles/upsets me to this day, as he was the first first pitcher on the bump and K’d the first 6 batters and retired all 8 batters.  Crickets...

When it comes to lets say a "mid major" like Coastal Carolina. They're seeking out the players they want, not waiting for them to show up at a camp with 200 other kids. The coaches don't need to pay attention because there is a list with 65 players they're actively recruiting already. Unless one of the 65 is at the camp, you really have to wow them. 

I completely disagree with what you are saying about Coastal Carolina. Based on our experience, the coaching staff is actively looking for players at their camps. I would not however recommend going to ANY camp with more than 75 or so attendees. 

In the case of CCU, if it is one of their larger camps, they will group the players they want to see together. For example, if there is game play, they hand pick the “teams” and hitter/pitcher matchups. CCU staff know what they are looking for and how to find it. And camps do have an important role there.