Skip to main content

Reply to "Junior Developing as a Pitcher"

So, I think you have a couple challenges in front of you, and it has nothing to do with your son's abilities.  The biggest is the D1 recruiting timeline is not on your side.  So, I agree with NYCDad.  I think it is going to depend on what schools you are targeting and their levels.   I do think it would be a tremendous longshot for most D1 schools at this time unless your travel coach or someone "in the business" can get him in front of the right people at the right time, and he demonstrates something extraordinary on the mound.    Possibly he has other attributes that make him "marketable" (ie...high grades, high SATs) to some of the D1 schools that require that combination (Ivy, Patriot, etc... are still recruiting), but most traditional D1s aren't going to go out of their way to see a guy who wants to switch from position player to pitcher in the middle or end of their recruiting timeline.     They've already got a list of guys who have that experience and want to play college baseball.

Where the timing may work out for you would be with other levels such as D3.   There may be others that fit but I'm familiar with D3.  There is good and bad there.  So, the good news is the D3 recruiting timeline is ramping up.  The bad news is there is no money.   Others may have suggestions about D2, JUCO, etc....

As always, JMO.  Good luck