Skip to main content

Reply to "Jupiter? East Cobb? Help!"

What I would suggest is that you sit down with whoever offered you 50%. Hopefully it was an in-state university, so that the other 50% that you have to pay is as low as it can be for D1 play.

Ask the coach how he would feel if your son skipped summer ball to get a job. Also ask for the coach's thoughts on working part time in the fall, at least during the weeks when there are no fall practices going on. Explain that while you would love to see your son be focused on nothing but baseball and academics, the reality is that you're having trouble footing the bills.

I can't imagine that anyone would resent your asking for their advice this way. Worst case, he would say he didn't think it could work. Best case, you lay a foundation for them understanding when your son spends his summers flipping burgers or washing cars instead of playing in a collegiate wood bat league somewhere.

I don't know what things cost in AZ, but here in VA, even without something like FL's "Bright Futures" program, 50% of in-state cost is in the $7-9,000 range, and that amount can be covered with a combination of working and borrowing.

This is not to say the JuCo route is not also worth considering, but I don't know if your situation is going to improve in the next 2 years. And it may be tougher to get that 50% in 2 years, who knows. So while I don't disagree with your looking at the JuCo option, I would suggest that you not rule out the D1 option, either.

I do agree that it's not likely that continuing to show will increase anyone's offer above 50%. That's already a strong offer for an outfielder.