Skip to main content

Reply to "Just checking"

CoachB, is it really a double standard, or is it just adjusting to the game as it progresses? To be in the position as I set it up, you have to be losing...which means something is not working quite right.

I have always had my guys take until they got a strike if down by two runs or less. We have always felt that usually if the pitcher could get 1 acrossed in this situation, the chances were that they could get another, and that our hitters could then zone up and drive the ball. If the pitcher gets behind in the count, the collar starts to get a little tight, and we have frequently coaxed a walk, which for us usually means we will steal second, negating the possbility of the double play, and getting us into a position to score some runs.

I have recently been reevaluating this position, leaning toward letting a hitter with a 1-0 or 2-0 count zone up and look for a ball to drive. I still like them to take the 1st pitch, mainly to get a good look, but once we are at 2-0, I start getting the itch to turn them loose.