Skip to main content

Reply to "Just Occurred to me – Last Year Before High School"

Dave17'
2 years ago my son was a freshman trying to make the HS team. Being his coach or Manager his whole baseball life, it was different watching someone else coach him. I did not know the HS coaching staff, so I tried to watch an indoor practice to see how things were going. After feeling out of place and almost getting hit several times with a baseball, I decided I would wait for outdoor practice.I watched a few outdoor practices, but it got boring not being involved, so I quit going to those.It turned out that he was the only freshman to make the Varsity team. Now our baseball field is not at the school and being on the varsity team everyone drove to the field after school. Well he was not old enough to drive, so he had to hitch a ride with another player , which I'm was't happy with.Worked that out as so the coach would drive him.Well we get to the 2nd game and I see he's warming up in the bullpen, so being a good dad , I poke my head into the dugout to wish him luck. Bad mistake, if looks could kill...After the game on the way home ,my son said " what are you doing, I got in trouble , nobody is allowed in the dugout." OOPS. Well you would think I would of learned my lesson, but no , the next game was a home game, which the summer teams also use this field, so after the game the coach takes the players into the dugout for an after game speech.Being fimiliar with the field , I decide to help by going out and retrieving the bases and put them away.Not a good idea. Got my boy in trouble again. Now hes going into his Junior year,so I guess I'll be like you and sit out in the outfield and just be a fan.