Skip to main content

Reply to "Just WOW!"

I question if football can survive COVID. There’s too much in your face play. Even the huddle is in your face.

A kid at our high school played soccer, hockey and lacrosse. He was a very good athlete. His junior year the football coach, desperate for a kicker/punter asked him to just show up Friday night and kick. He went to kicking camp the summer before senior year. He ended up kicking at a D1. Everyone thought he would play D1 lacrosse.

The football coach came back after the kid graduated looking for a new kicker. My son ended up being the punter and kicked off. He wowed them with his practice field goals. But he couldn’t elevate the ball quickly and didn’t have time to learn. It’s why I wasn’t impressed when the female US team soccer player made the news kicking a fifty yard field goal with no one in front of her.

My son didn’t consider himself a football player even though he played wide receiver and safety in middle school. The coaches were disappointed when he didn’t continue. He didn’t want to risk getting injured and miss basketball baseball. I told him if getting injured was in the back of his mind he couldn’t play football.

i told my son about Garo Yepremian and “I kick me a touchdown.”  He loved it and mocked himself with it at games.

Last edited by RJM