Skip to main content

Reply to "Just WOW!"

@DanJ posted:

I read in the paper a couples days ago that Omaha has been getting calls from California parents about getting their kids out here to play football.  Everybody here is going through the motions as if high school football is going to happen, but I don't see it happening all things considered.  It may start, but the chances of it finishing?  Way low from my vantage point.  My son is a baseball player who pretends he's a football player in the fall.  He's a kicker/punter, ha!

I read that Nebraska is seeing a surge of cases now.  We had our surge start a month and a half ago.  They shut down football workouts for three weeks.  After that, though, they restarted, and pretty much told everybody that they won't shut them down again.  The thing is that the football workouts are well run with social distancing, but then piles of kids ride together to them, and then hang out afterwards.  The only thing that will result in football happening IMO is that most of the kids is that it hits herd immunity among the players.  I remember that many of the college teams had surges when the kids returned, but seem to have it under control.  We'll see, as the state has to hit phase 3 before they allow contact, and then they need four weeks of that before games start.  They are projecting (hoping) that they can start contact in around a month and play games in two months.

My son is not so upset about the possibility of not playing football TBH, as he likes the workouts (well, he hates them, saying his coaches enjoy torturing kids, but likes the impact they have on his fitness), but not so much the contact drills with manchildren.  We'll see if he keeps playing through HS, as football does a really good job of working on speed, explosiveness, agility, and strength, but at the expense of getting pummeled.