Skip to main content

Reply to "Kendall Rogers"

Just looked over a few statistics pages from SEC schools.  I will put UT's. 

General Redshirt Rules

Players must abstain completely from competition to preserve a season of eligibility during a redshirt year. Players who appear in even one inning of one baseball game will lose a season of eligibility, unless they later gain a hardship waiver for injury, illness, family crisis, natural disaster or other calamity. Players in redshirt years are bound by all NCAA rules, including those regulations designed to ensure academic progress toward graduation.

Hardship Waiver

Players who suffer a season-ending injury or illness during the first half of the spring season may be eligible for a hardship waiver if they haven't played in more than 30 percent of their team's games. Playing time missed during fall baseball does not factor into the hardship calculations. Each player must apply to the NCAA for a hardship waiver and document his case. If the NCAA grants the waiver, that player will receive a do-over for that season -- effectively creating a "medical redshirt" year.

So if a player has not played in 30% of the team's games they are eligible to apply for hardship waiver for natural disaster or calamity.  this has to fall under that situation. 

UT played 17 games this season.  Anyone who played 5.1 innings or more is not eligible to fall under the old rule (assuming the NCAA chooses to do nothing different on Monday).  But with that the entire freshman class would be eligible to come back other than 1 player who will not need it because he should be drafted after 3 years high.  Only 4 total pitchers pitched in more than 5 games so all pitchers would be able to add a year.  If they only take top 10 rounds of regular money, then only 2 players would fall in that category by PG rankings and draft projections.  So it will still be a logjam.  I cannot see why anyone would not apply for the redshirt year even they do not end up using it.  You are talking 20 of the 35 not eligible to get redshirt year this year but 15 plus a few over the 35 so about 21 players will get redshirt year.  That will still make life interesting and most are similar.  Vanderbilt only has 15 players that would not be eligible to apply for redshirt year.  My thought is they will apply just to possibly allow for extra year on the back end in case they want to transfer for last year or two.

If many keep pace, they would eligible to graduate after 3 years.  If they get this year back, then they would have 4 more years.  I know they plan not to use them but would have them.  Just thinking outloud.