Skip to main content

Reply to "Kendall Rogers"

hshuler posted:
PABaseball posted:

What I think should happen - college athletes should continue using their eligibility on schedule. When their eligibility runs out they should be able to apply and be granted a redshirt season for the lost time. Many will not choose to use said year, some will be drafted, some will quit baseball altogether. Kids will use 5 years if they know they have it. But kids will use their 4 and start to think about life after baseball if you push it off and make it optional. Between the draft, optional waivers, and attrition it will sort itself out within a year or two. Seniors get nothing out of this but I'm sure an arrangement could be made with the exception that they were enrolled in grad school full time. 

Good points but when coaches were planning on guys leaving and have committed the money elsewhere, who pays for them to return?

I would imagine this is where the coaches get creative. The problem isn't necessarily the 11.7 cap - that has always been an issue to navigate around, it is the 11.7 and more than 27 scholarship players that becomes an issue. 

I imagine the pitch to graduating college seniors would be - we didn't expect you to come back and don't have any money. You can come back and pay full boat or you can walk. 

I imagine the pitch to HS seniors would be - we have less money because these 4 are coming back. I can't give you anything year one, but year 2,3,4 you will get x,y,z for your loyalty. And when some of them get drafted or transfer the school wins because the deal was backloaded. 

2 seniors sticking around doesn't create a huge problem. The 4 juniors and two high schoolers who didn't get drafted do though. Problem isn't that a few want to stay, it's that some who were expected to leave did not show enough in 14 games.