Skip to main content

Reply to "Kid w/ Shoulder injury"

spizzle,
With our son's situation, I started to do a fair amount of research on labral repairs and baseball playing.
What I found is there is too much disinformation.
If you talk to team doctors and trainers, they tell you everyone comes back 100% in a relatively short period of time(5-8 months.)
With more research, what I found is that there is very little research on this type of topic.
The most reliable study I found was published in the Spring of 2008 by one of the Phillies team orthopedists.
This assess TJ and labrum repairs and returning to the players/pitchers pre-injury level of competition. But the study group was 18-23 year olds in Milb for the most part.
What it concluded for labral injuries was that about 25% were able to make it back to the pre-injury level of competition. It didn't study how then did from that point and after.
With what limited information I found, I would be astounded there is any reliable information on a 12 year old with labral repair surgery.
The only suggestion I would have for this young man would be to get the very best orthopedic surgeon who has done the most labral repairs with good results for baseball players.
Finding such a physician is easier said than done.