Skip to main content

Reply to "Kids from the age of 11, 12 are on steroids... Trainers who can’t afford the good stuff giving horse steroids to kids. It’s a dirty business..."

trchala posted:

It's pathetic really. My son's hitting coach is Dominican and played D1 ball (never drafted), so we've heard a few stories. There're some amazingly talented young players who are used/abused (including potential health issues) by the "buscones" all in the interest of making a buck at the kids' expense. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of being compensated fairly for (value-added) services provided, but the current Dominican system seems rife with exploitation.

Say what you will about Boras, and he's undoubtedly self-serving, but his suggestions could go a ways to eliminating some of the issues. But human nature being what it is, and with the livelihood of buscones challenged, even with Boras's dream list of suggestions I'm sure they'd find a way to grind money out of and abuse young, eager players.

At the end of the day the MLB is a business. The dollars cascade downward from the top and continuation of the current systems depends on whether ethics/morals will dominate over the MLB bottom lines. I have my reservations it's all about putting the best product out on the field and the Dominicans (along with other Latin players) bring excitement to the game.

Yes. They bring superhuman excitement to the game, (sarcasm).  Probably because of the PED use. I wish there was a way to purify the game. At this point, I am more amazed watching high level college ball. So sad