Skip to main content

Reply to "Knowing the pond you're fishing in...."

In general terms, yes.   Most of the D1s have their 2020 recruits and are moving forward.  Like your son, my son got late recruiting interest from an SEC school.   As it turned out one of their SEC recruits had trouble with the law and the law won.  My son had been seen many times by the SEC RC as they recruited his travel battery mate, so it was a late offer (no athletic $ but significant academic $) by their timetable.  My son did his due diligence on the offer.   While that was going on most of the activity (in June)  was private D1 mid-majors ($$$$), Ivys, Patriot league schools which had major financial and major academic hurdles to understand and overcome.   None the less we kept forging on and the D3 activity picked up significantly in the summer.   As God as my witness, I believe we talked to every D3 school across the country with an engineering degree.  

Looking back....It didn't take long to understand what coaches genuinely wanted him and what coaches were treating him as an afterthought.  Understand "the pond", what motivates coaches, and what leverage your son has either through athletics or academics or both.   Apply that leverage to the right situation.  

Good luck!