Skip to main content

Reply to "Kyler Murray"

Go44dad posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

I don't see the A's paying that kind of money....but I also don't understand how MLB just let's them change a rule to pay him $15 mil if that's what he wants to do.  If they let this go for Murray, what's gonna happen when the guy picked #1 next year says I want $25 mil?   You can't pick and choose players because they are a "big name".  I can't imagine the other owners are going to be ok with this deal.   I don't think Murray's head is "in baseball" or we wouldn't be having this discussion.....and as all of you know, if your head isn't in it, it's likely not going to turn out well.

My understanding of the rule regarding bonus pools, is that if there was an agreement in place for more money before signing him to his $4.x M draft deal, that is a violation as determined by MLB.  If A's sign him to a MLB deal now, and MLB does not object, the deal would be valid.  By their actions and involvement so far, MLB wants him.

My understanding is that MLB sent their marketing staff to meet with Murray's representatives today.  That's from Jeff Passan/ESPN guy this morning.

He’s smart. He’s using MLB baseball as leverage for a larger NFL contract.